Job Title: Grounds Landscaper
Title of Immediate Supervisor: Horticultural and Grounds Supervisor
Located on 250 acres in the town Southborough, Massachusetts and just 25 miles from Boston, St. Mark's School is a coeducational, college-preparatory school educating students in grades nine through twelve. Since the School's founding in 1865, St. Mark's has educated and prepared young people for lives of leadership and service. A highly-motivated team of 70 faculty members leads 360 students through a rigorous curriculum and full program of co-curricular activities.
The Grounds Landscaper will possess a strong work ethic and the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, outside vendors, parents, and members of the surrounding community. They are primarily responsible to maintain the school grounds in a well-kept condition by caring for lawns, trimming hedges and shrubs, pruning trees, and removing debris from grounds and around buildings. This is a 40-hour per week position; the winter months may require extended hours to keep walkways and roads safely clear of snow and ice. The summer months may require extended hours depending on Auxiliary program needs.
Essential functions, duties and responsibilities:
- Maintains lawns throughout the School campus. May seed, lime, fertilize, water and mow as necessary. Use of power mowers, hedge clippers, machine, and hand tools.
- Trims and shapes shrubs and prunes trees. With direction from supervisor, may do occasional tree pruning to damaged or rotted parts of trees.
- Plants flowers; weeds; fertilizes; and waters flower gardens and trees.
- Rakes and disposes of leaves and cleans or sweeps up litter around buildings and about the grounds.
- Collects rubbish from grounds receptacles and any litter that is present.
- Plows snow using a truck, Bobcat, or tractor, as well as hand shoveling. Applies sand and/or salt on icy roads and sidewalks.
- May do minor servicing and repairs to small engine equipment such as lubrication, replacing contact points or spark plugs and making adjustments.
- May assist other employees in the performance of their duties with other tasks as required. May be a rotating worker wherever needed, assigned to a specific activity or may be working on various areas on campus.
- May be required to work an extended schedule during emergencies, school and/or weather events.
- May be required to lift, carry or move heavy items or materials weighing up to 50 pounds; and may work as a team member with one or more employees of the department in moving, lifting or carrying extremely large, awkward and heavy items, materials, furniture or equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three years of related experience and/or training in groundskeeping; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated strength in attention to detail
- Strong time management, organization and follow-up skills
- Demonstrated strong communication skills
- Experience working in a professional, team-oriented environment
- Possess or have the ability and willingness to obtain a Hydraulic License
- Willingness to learn or be trained in new routines and activities
- Must pass state and nationwide criminal background checks
- Must hold a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record