The Burgess Center
The physical and intellectual hub of the School.
The Burgess Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning, commonly called “The Center,” lies at the heart of the Main Building and is the physical and intellectual hub of the School. The Burgess Center provides space for students to study, socialize, get academic support, and attend School meeting and other events. The Burgess Center also houses the offices for the dean of academics, Burgess Center director, director of student enrichment, director of academic support, associate dean of students, and director of community and equity affairs.
The Burgess Center aims to:
- Improve educational outcomes for students, especially in their intellectual development, with emphasis on skills needed for successful lives of leadership and service in the 21st century
- Enhance faculty teaching through support and development, including opportunities for research
- Identify, select, and develop effective pedagogies, curricula, and technologies that fit the educational mission, values, and character of St. Mark’s
- Help recruit, develop, and retain the very best faculty, students, and staff
- Contribute to the national dialogue on evolving secondary school education
Burgess Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning Chair
Established by Barbara and Bill Burgess ’77, P’07, ’08 to ensure that each student and faculty member get the most out of their time at St. Mark’s. The current holder of the Burgess chair is Dr. Colleen Worrell.