The School provides quiet study hours each evening during which students are expected to complete homework assignments and other academic tasks. A separate study hall directly supervised by a faculty member is also available for those students who prefer additional structure.
The Academic Support branch of the Center also offers two Academic Labs– a Writing Lab and a Math Lab– staffed by faculty members and peer tutors. Students may visit the Labs during the academic day and some evenings to request assistance with assignments. Workshops on such topics as exam preparation, time management, and memorization strategies are available throughout the year.
The St. Mark’s Learning Specialist is available for consultation with students, faculty, and parents with concerns about learning patterns and academic progress. Additional information can be found here.
Further Reading and Links
- Mindset The New Psychology of Success , Carol S. Dweck
- 5 Minds for the Future , Howard Gardner
- The Temperamental Thread How Genes, Culture, Time and Luck Make Us Who We Are , Jerome Kagan
- Smart but Scattered The Revolutionary “Executive Skills” Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential , Peg Dawson and Richard Guare
- Where’s My Stuff? The Ultimate Teen Organizing Guide, Samantha Moss, Lesley Schwartz
- See You Later, Procrastinator! (Getting it Done) , Pamela Espeland and Elizabeth Verdick
- Choke What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal about Getting it Right When You Have To , Sian Beilock
- Spark The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain , J.J. Ratey
- Crazy Busy , Edward M. Hallowell
- Brain Rules 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home and School , John Medina
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, Charles Duhigg
- Drive The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, Daniel H. Pink