How to Apply to St. Mark's
We are pleased that you have decided to become a candidate for admission to St. Mark’s School.
All steps necessary to complete the application process are outlined below. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
- 1. Schedule a Visit to St. Mark's
- 2. Required Testing
- 3. Complete Application
- 4. Recommendation Forms
- 5. School Report Form (Principal or Counselor Recommendation) and Home Schooling Supplement
- Portfolio Submission (Optional)
- St. Mark's Online Portal and Checklist Information for GTP, SAO, and TABS Applicants
An interview is REQUIRED as part of the application process, so please schedule a visit to St. Mark’s. Contact the Admission Office 508-786-6118 or email@example.com as our appointment calendar fills quickly. International students, please refer to our International Applicants page before contacting us to schedule a visit.
- The Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) is required for all applicants. For more information on registration and test dates, call SSATB in Princeton, NJ at 609-683-4440 or via the web at http://www.ssat.org/.
To ensure St. Mark’s receives your official score report, our SSAT school code is: 6730.
- Domestic applicants may submit the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) in lieu of the SSAT. For more information on registration and test dates, call ERB at 800-989-3721 or via the web at http://www.erblearn.org/.
To ensure St. Mark's receives your official score report, our ISEE school code is: 570103.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)* is required of all applicants whose primary language is not English. For more information, call TOEFL at 609-771-7100 or via the web at http://www.toefl.com/.
To ensure St. Mark’s receives your official score report, our TOEFL school code is: 9222.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)* may be submitted in lieu of the TOEFL if you have an overall band score of 7.5 or higher. For more information, call IELTS at 323-255-2771 or via the web at http://www.ielts.org/.
To ensure St. Mark's receives your score report, please remember to ask your test center to submit your scores electronically to our institution. An institutional code is not required. No paper test forms will be accepted.
The completed application and the application fee must be postmarked or submitted online by January 31 for the first round of admission decisions. Please do not submit multiple application types as this will slow the processing of your application.
- Apply online through Gateway to Prep Schools (GTP)* or the Standard Application Online (SAO)* common applications.
- Contact our office at 508-786-6118 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request the link to St. Mark's own online application if St. Mark's is the only school you are applying to.
*GTP and SAO applicants, please review the online checklist information at the bottom of this page.
**Our online application is updated between June and September and is not available until October 1st.
Please note, students who choose to apply through GTP, SAO, and TABS common applications are required to complete St. Mark's application supplement and fulfill all of the recommendation requirements listed in sections 4 and 5 below.
- The St. Mark's Application Supplement for SAO applicants is included on the SAO website
- The St. Mark's Application Supplement for Gateway applicants is included on the Gateway website
- St. Mark's Application Supplement for TABS applicants
St. Mark's is more than just a place where your child will learn math, English, and science. Certainly the reason you're seeking to enroll your child here is because you're interested in an education that focuses on instilling character values and encouraging personal growth. Similarly, we know that your child is much more than grades and test scores. That's why we're asking your child to take The Character Skills Snapshot as part of their application. It will give us richer holistic information about your child, and show us areas where our community can help them grow, thrive, and shine. Visit the Enrollment Management Association (EMA) to learn more.
St. Mark's requires three teacher recommendations: English, Math, and Foreign Language. Ask your current teachers to complete the forms after November 1 and submit them to our office by January 31. If you are not enrolled in a foreign language course, or if English is your foreign language, please submit the science recommendation instead. The Special Interest Recommendation form is optional. St. Mark’s accepts the Common Recommendation form.
Please note that you are still required to submit all three recommendation forms if you apply through GTP, TABS, or SAO.
If you are applying through St. Mark's online application portal, you should send an email invitation from the application portal to your teachers to complete the recommendations online instead of using the PDFs below.
Ask a school official to submit the completed School Report form and a complete transcript from the previous and current year. In addition, ask your school to submit updated grades through February when they become available. If you are applying through St. Mark's online application portal, please send your principal or guidance counselor an email invitation through the portal to complete the online recommendation.
Home schooled students are required to submit the Home Schooling Supplement. You may download a printable copy or contact the admission office to have one mailed.
If you have a well developed talent in the creative or performing arts, you may submit samples of your work for review by St. Mark's art, theater and music faculty. You may also submit athletic videos for our coaches to view. St. Mark's accepts athletic videos and art submissions via Slideroom. Please review the detailed submission instructions on the Slideroom website. If you elect not to submit materials via Slideroom, you may include with your application a printed art portfolio or athletic resume that lists your training and experience, repertoire or roles performed and honors received. For network security purposes, we cannot accept submissions via USB drives, CD, DVD, or email.
*If you applied through St. Mark's online application, you already have access to your online checklist and no further action is required.
- If you are a GTP, SAO, or TABS applicant, please wait until you receive our email invitation link to create your checklist account. Please do not create a St. Mark's account on your own as this will slow down the processing of your application.
- The invitation email will have the subject: St. Mark's School: Confirm your email
- Invitations will be sent to parent emails.
- Remember to check spam folders and add @stmarksschool.org to your safe senders list.
- Please remember that our application is made up of multiple GTP and SAO components (Candidate Profile/Bio, Parent Statement, Student Statement, SM Supplement), if we are missing one of those four components, your "application" checkbox will not be marked complete in your St. Mark's online checklist.
- St. Mark's requires two years of transcripts plus your current grade report. If your school only uploaded one of these three items, this requirement may be marked as complete on GTP or SAO, but it will NOT be marked complete on St. Mark's checklist until we have received all three from your school.
- If you see that a recommendation or item is marked incomplete, and you believe it has been submitted, please contact our office. Please remember however that our checklist is not "real-time" and allow 48 business hours for processing.
Letters of decision will be posted to the St. Mark's Online Portal** on March 10, and your reply is expected by April 10. Students who are accepted will be invited to Re-Visit campus during select dates in early April.
**Applicants, if your parent(s)/guardian(s) have not received their account activation email invitation to the St. Mark's Online Portal by March 1, please email email@example.com immediately.