The music program at St. Mark's supports every student with musical aspirations, regardless of their experience level or whether their interest lies in jazz, classical, rock/pop, ethnic music, or recording/electronica. There are three curricular ensembles,— Orchestra, Choir, and Jazz Ensemble—and two extracurricular a cappella groups—the Royal Blues and Marksmen. Instruction includes practice and performance, songwriting, and Advanced Music Theory. There is also a comprehensive private music lesson program covered by financial aid. St. Mark's has a lively culture of musical performances, from student recitals in our beautiful concert hall to musical offerings in Belmont Chapel, the annual Lessons and Carols service the Wick Choral Festival, and Cutler Jazz Festival.
From the Classroom
Private Music Lessons
Lessons are offered for a fee on a credit or non-credit basis. Students may also seek permission to take lessons as an independent study project or in lieu of sports.
Instruction is offered in these areas:
- Keyboard — pipe organ, jazz, blues, classical piano
- Strings — violin, viola, cello, bass
- Guitar — acoustic, electric, bass
- Winds — flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon
- Brass — trumpet, trombone, French horn
- Percussion — timpani, drum set, ethnic drumming