The Parents' Association coordinates and hosts a number of events for St. Mark's parents and guardians throughout the year.
Parent/Faculty/Staff Book Club
The last St. Mark’s book club of the school year met via Zoom on Thursday, May 21, and there was great discussion and book ideas.
Thank you to all who have attended the book club this year, and special thanks to our co-chairs, Joanne Flathers and Laurie Kalapinski for organizing and leading the club.
Participants selected two summer reading titles, The Stationery Shop by Marjan Kamali, and This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger, and offered additional recommendations, which include:
- The Yellow House by Sarah M. Broom
- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
- Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home by Jessica Fechtor
- Sourdough by Robin Sloan
- Circling the Sun by Paula McLain
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, Ben Holden-Crowther
- Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan, Danae Yankoski, Chris Tomlin
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- Educated by Tara Westover
- Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- The Storyteller’s Secret by Sejal Badani
- Dreams for Kids: Changing Lives One Person At a Time by Tom Tuohy
- Officer Clemmons by Francois S. Clemmons
- Funny You Don’t Look Autistic by Michael McCreary
- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Leonard Peikoff
- To Heaven and Back: The True Story of a Doctor’s Extraordinary Walk with God by Mary C. Neal
- 7 Lessons from Heaven: How Dying Taught Me to Live a Joy-Filled Life by Mary C. Neal
- The Feast Nearby: How I Lost My Job, Buried a Marriage, and Found My Way by Keeping Chickens, Foraging, Preserving, Bartering, and Eating Locally by Robin Mather
- Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood by Lisa Damour
- Moloka’i by Alan Brennert
- The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
- The Scent Keeper by Erica Bauermeister
- Elsey Come Home by Susan Conley
- A Country Year: Living the Questions by Sue Hubbel
- Hurricane Season by Lauren K. Denton
- Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth by Sarah Smarsh
- A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum
- The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson
- The NIckel Boys by Colson Whitehead
- The Bird Way: A New Look at How Birds Talk, Work, Play, Parent, and Think by Jennifer Ackerman
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Missed Translations: Meeting the Immigrant Parents Who Raised Me by Sopan Deb
- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
- The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz by Erik Larson
- The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian
The newest suggestion for obtaining books during this time of stay-at-home orders was www.bookshop.org, a website with a mission to financially support local, independent bookstores.
We look forward to gathering in some form at the first meeting of the 2020-21 book club this fall. In the meantime, we extend congratulations to the St. Mark’s School 2020 graduates and their parents/guardians.
"Graduating” parents, if you no longer wish to receive book club email notifications, email Joanne at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. Otherwise, we will happily send these reminders to all who wish to receive them.
If you have a book suggestion or would like to be added to our email distribution list, please contact Joanne Flathers P’15, ’19, ’21, ’21 at email@example.com or Laurie Kalapinski, Admission Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
View recordings from past Parent Speaker Series meetings and the Form Chats here.